METHODS FOR PRODUCING POLYESTER-GLASS COMPOSITES
HAND LAMINATING (CONTACT MOLDING)
Hand laminating is the most popular and simplest method for manufacturing composites from polyester-glass laminate. It is a molding method, which is used to manufacture products as a result of applying of consecutive layers of reinforcing materials. Reinforcing materials that provide composite with proper physical and chemical properties are usually glass mats and fabrics, which in production process are saturated with properly selected resin. Contact method allows to obtain on average 30% of glass content in laminate.
Contact method is used in unit and small batch production, which does not require high resistance or repeatability of manufactured products.
Advantages of this method:
- possibility of manufacturing products that differ in terms of weight, level of complexity, and design,
- relatively short time of hardware preparation (model + mold),
- low cost of production launch,
- application with unit and small batch production,
- possibility of making any assembly and reinforcing adaptations (metal hardware, reinforcing inserts, spacers, etc.), and their changes during production without the need of interference in the mold.
Limitations of this method:
- possibility of obtaining only one surface with gelcoat from the side of the mold,,
- quality of laminate depends to a large extend on employee’s skills,
- high tolerance of product wall thickness from approx. 0.5 mm to 1 mm,
- high unit cost of component production – with a relatively low cost of hardware.